Prof. David McNeil (UTAS) just brought to my attention a recent paper (Letter to New Phytologist) on FACE experiments, which basically compares FACE type experiments with chamber experiments. I have uploaded a copy of the paper in the file transfer section (GrapeFACE presentations) for whoever wants to read it. Your comments will be much appreciated.
The paper title is: “FACE-ing the facts: inconsistencies and interdependence among field, chamber and modelling studies of elevated [CO2] impacts on crop yield and food supply”
Elizabeth A. Ainsworth1,2, Andrew D. B. Leakey2, Donald
R. Ort1,2 and Stephen P. Long2*
1USDA ARS Photosynthesis Research Unit, 1201 W.
Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, USA; 2Department of
Plant Biology and Institute for Genomic Biology, University
of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Urbana IL 61801, USA
(*Author for correspondence: tel +1 (217) 333 2487; fax
+1 (217) 244 7563; email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Maybe what we need to do is run some pilot studies to get some runs on the board before we go to the next step. You may remember that Alex set up a growth chamber with the facility to run at elevated CO2. What we need is several such chambers to do this properly. Another possibility is to use something like Chris Soar s chambers or tents and add a CO2 injection system. This would not be too different to the open top chambers for which there is a good deal of existing expertise. (Ev has had experience in this area). Some sort of static system with boxes could be used to test temperature effects on bunches. All this could be done with relatively little outlay.
Yes I wondered about this when I made the suggestion in the meeting, but if we could get Bindi’s gear that would reduce the cost a lot, and if we did establishing vines (from planting) we could add another dimension to what is already known from Bindi’s work. It also allows us to plant deliberately (in the Coombe vineyard) for a FACE experiment. It would be interesting anyway to measure CO2 above the UVTs over a daily time course.
Maybe a FACE from planting could be a bit tricky, since the engineering of the system must considering this scenario to follow the growth of vines (i.e. height and distance of risers, blowers and separation). This will optimise CO2 injection but we need to study the impact in the cost of the project.
Keeping vines free of powdery mildew in the glasshouse can be a major challenge (at least in the glasshouses at Waite). We have used sulfur pots or topas wicks in the past. Such strategies might need to be monitored for interactions with CO2 concentration.